Department of Botany – Departmental activities
2016 – 17
- Recently became a partner institution of Malabar Botanical Garden & Institute for Plant Sciences (MBGIPS), Kozhikode for becoming the Regional Centre of Expertise of United Nations University (UNU), Japan. Consent letter signed on 07/06/2016.
2015 – 16
- Dr. K. Kishore Kumar inaugurated the Nature Club and delivered a lecture at Farook Training College on 04/06/2015.
- Environmental day celebrations were held on 05/06/2015, by planting trees in the Botanical garden.
- Daily quiz programme under Sahyadri club was started on 10/06/2015.
- FOSTALGIA 2015 – a get together of old students and retired staff was held on 02/08/2015 at 11.30 Am in the Botany lab. The students of 2002-2005 batch contributed an amount of Rs. 15000/- in memory of their expired class mate Mr. Abdul Rauf.
- A meeting of First Academic Council was conducted at Virtual Hall on 5th August 2015 at 2.00 PM. Dr. K. Kishore Kumar attended the meeting.
- Onam celebration was conducted on 20th August 2015. The students of department participated in various programmes organized by college NSS. The department students won 2nd prize for Pookkalam competition and 3rd Prize for the Folk Song. Ona sadhya was also organized in the department.
- College Union Election first phase was held on 10th September 2015 at 10 – 11.30 AM and the second phase on 11/09/15. Poornima Raj (Vth sem) was selected as the Botany Association Secretary.
- Dr. K. Kishore Kumar presented a paper on “Biodiversity studies at Komala kunnu” at AVVM College, Poondi, Thanjavur on 14th September 2015 at 12-12.30 PM.
- Dr. K. Kishore Kumar judged the Wife Quiz Competitions in the District Level Wildlife Week Celebrations held at Vanasree, Mathottam, Kozhikode on 03/10/2015
- Anjana S. attended hands-on training in ‘Techniques in Molecular Biology’ organized by KKTM Govt. College, Pullut from 26/11/2015 to 28/11/2015.
2014 – 15
- Ms. Anjana S., joined as Assistant Professor in the vacancy of Prof. T. Ahamad kutty.
- Dr. K. Kishore Kumar underwent Refresher course in Life Sciences at UGC-ASC, University of Calicut from 4th to 24th July.
- In July, the Department Museum was completely renovated with the help of students and staff.
- The UGC Minor Research Project of Dr. K. Kishore Kumar with an outlay of Rs. 1.5 lakhs was transferred on 20th August from NSS College, Manjeri to Farook College.
- On 22nd of August 2014, ‘VIBGYOR’ – a compilation of the publication of the faculties of the college was released by Sri. T.P. Sreenivasan, Vice Chairman, Higher Education Council in connection with the Seminar on ‘Autonomous Colleges’ held at AVT. Dr. Kishore Kumar K. was the Editorial board Convenor of the same.
- Sri. V. Majeed (Herbarium keeper) got retired on 31st August.
- Greed Audit of the campus: The final year students (8 nos.) under the guidance of Dr. K. Kishore Kumar completed the survey of all the trees in the campus. They have identified the various tree species, measured their girth and height of more than 1000 trees, for the volume estimation and phyto-sociological analysis.
- The executive members of the Sahyadri club and convenor Dr. K. Kishore Kumar conducted an interview with Prof. Madhav Gadgil, renowned environmentalist and the Chairman of WGEEP, during his visit to the college on 18th September.
- A book ‘Conserve Biodiversity and Earth’ (in Malayalam) written by Dr. K. Kishore Kumar and published by Kerala Sasthra Sahithya Parishath (KSSP) was released by Dr. A. Achuthan, renowned environmental activist, on 18th September, at Town Hall Kozhikode.
- Ms. Athira Thacholi won Gold medal during September 2014, in the University level Table Tennis Competition
- Smt. Naseeha C.P. joined as Assistant Professor in the Department on 30 Sept 2014
- A Smart room was established in the Final BSc class room on 03/10/2014
- Dr. K. Kishore kumar prepared the Name boards for the campus trees. The function was inaugurated by the Principal on 07/10/2014 by establishing boards at the Botanical garden.
- Dr. K. Kishore Kumar being the Co-ordinator for the Walk With a Scholar (WWS) programme, participated in the One Day Workshop for the Co-ordinators & Mentors of WWS programme organized by the Higher Education Council at St. Joseph’s Autonomous College, Devagiri, Kozhikode on 16th October 2014.
- VIBGYOR – 2011 & 2012 were released on 20th November 2014. Dr. K. Kishore Kumar was the Editorial Board Convenor for the same.
- MS. Anjana A.S. attended hands-on training in ‘Techniques in Phytochemistry ‘ organized by KKTM Govt. College, Pullut from 25/11/2014 to 27/11/2014.
2013 – 14
- Planting of trees on 5th June 2013 on World Environment Day.
- Onam celebrations were held at the Botany department on 13th September 2013.
- Mrs. V. Sainaba attended a National seminar on ‘Biodiversity’ conducted by the Department of Botany, PTalks in All India Radio (AIR)
Dr. K. KISHORE KUMAR delivered talks in ALL INDIA RADIO (AIR), Kozhikode & Kannur, Kerala – on the topics:
- Western Ghats – Origin & Biogeography (broadcasted on 06th March 2014 by AIR, Kozhikode).
- Western Ghats –Biodiversity and Conservation (broadcasted on 15th March 2014 by AIR, Kozhikode).
- Mangrove forests and their conservational importance (broadcasted on 21st February 2015 by AIR, Kozhikode).
- Community Reserves and Conservation Reserves – What & Why? (broad casted on 19th September 2015 by AIR, Kozhikode).
- Population explosion and its consequences in Biodiversity Conservation (broad casted on 11 July 2015 by AIR, Kannur).
- National Parks (broad casted on 28th May 2016 by AIR, Kozhikode).
Paper Presentations In National Seminars (during the last 6 years only)
Dr. Kishore Kumar K. – 21 nos.
Anjana S. – 05 nos
Public Awareness Seminars/ Classes Conducted (during the last 6 years only)
Dr. Kishore Kumar K. – 126 nos.
(at various Universities, Research organizations, Protected areas, Colleges, Schools and several other venues such as DIET, Block Resource Centres, Nature clubs, Libraries, etc.)
- rovidence Women’s College, Kozhikode on 10th & 11th October 2013.
- Inauguration of the ‘Sahyadri Club’ was conducted at the AVT, Farook College on 23-01-2014 by Prof. T. Sobhindran, renowned Environmentalist.
- Mrs. V. Sainaba participated in the Refresher Course in Life Sciences at UGC-ASC, Calicut University from 22-12-2013 to 12-01-2014.
- Mrs. V. Sainaba attended the Seminar on Taxonomy at Govt. Arts and Science College, Calicut on 21-02-2014.
- A detailed Micro-morphological and Taxonomical study on the Campus flora was completed. A total of 10 Project reports were prepared under the guide ship of all the four faculties. It was officially released on 29th March 2014.
- Botany Alumni Meet was organized on 29th March 2014 at AVT, Farook College. 48 Alumnis participated. Office bearers were elected.
- Send off was given to Prof. T. Ahamad Kutty and Prof. T.P. Aboo on their retirement on 31st March 2014.