The saga of Farook College begins in the early 1940’s, in the obscure Anakkayam village in Malappuram District, where a learned man ruminated on ways and means of spreading the light of knowledge among the members of his community who were floundering in the darkness of ignorance. He was Moulavi Abussabah Ahmed Ali, the founder President of the Rouzathul Uloom Association, which established Farook College. The first institution the ‘Rouzathul Uloom Arabic College’ was started in 1942 in Anakkayam. In 1946 a committee was formed with the intention of starting a first grade college. This committee consisted of
|1. Moulavi Abussabah Ahamed Ali Sahib
|2. Advocate M.V. Hydross Sahib
|3. Jb M. Kunhoyi Vaidyar
|4. Jb K.P. Chekkutty Sahib
|5. Jb K.M. Moulavi Sahib
|6. Jb K.M. Seethi Sahib
|7. Haji Abdusathar Said Sahib
|8. Haji A. Abdul Kader Sahib
|9. Jb Punathil Aboobacker Sahib
|10. Jb S.M. Syed Mohammed Sahib
The Committee had to start from scratches. Land and buildings had to be acquired. Janab Puliyali Abdullakutty Hajee donated 22 acres of the present campus. Even before construction could be completed, an application was submitted to Madras University for recognition as a first grade College. Thanks to the interest taken by the then Vice Chancellor of Madras University, Dr A Lakshmanaswamy Mudaliar and the generosity of several social workers and philanthropists, recognition was granted in July 1948. The college was named Farook College through a resolution adopted by the Managing Committee on June 12, 1948, a name commemorative of Khalifah Umar Al – Farook and Tippu Sultan’s Farookabad.
On August 12, 1948 the college was declared open. It was the only first grade college in the central Malabar at the time of its inception and was originally affiliated to the Madras University. Following the states, reorganization, the college came under the University of Kerala in 1957 and under the University of Calicut in 1968.
The College is modeled on residential pattern, providing curricular and co-curricular activities for both mental and moral development of the students. Its special care for the moral standard of the students, operating through religious and spiritual discourses, help them enrich their personal as well as social identity. The College and its hostels are open to students of all castes and creeds and provide amenities for the creation of the healthy and cosmopolitan atmosphere on the campus.
From 1957 to 2016, the college has achieved an exponential growth, in terms of infrastructure, departments, programmes, faculty strength and student strength. Few of the important mile stones are as listed below.
- Silver Jubilee Year Celebration in 1974: The College celebrated its Silver Jubilee in 1974. By the silver jubilee year the College has grown itself into a residential campus. The college then offered 9 UG programme and 4 PG programme with 4 Students‟ hostels and 12 Staff residential quarters. The Jubilee Health Centre was also established in the jubilee year.
- 40th anniversary in February 1989: The College celebrated its 40th anniversary in February 1989. A new block and the IDB Hostel for postgraduate girl students were constructed in connection with 40th Anniversary celebrations.
- Golden Jubilee in 1999 – 2000: The College took its golden Jubilee as a point for introspection to scheme out the blue print for its sustained growth. In 1999 the Informatics Centre was established. A fully residential Institute of Civil Service Examination was launched in 2000. A library complex, conceived to be a better synthesis of print and electronic media, was also launched. It cost 1.5 crores and was commissioned by Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, His Excellency, the President of India in 2002. Another project of 15 lakhs was implemented to modernize the existing facilities of the laboratories in the College. Following the blue print, new programmes such as B.Sc. Statistics, B.Sc. Computer Science, Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.), M.Sc. Computer Science and Master of Communication and Journalism (M.C.J.) were added to the existing ones.
- College bags Five Star Level Accreditation from NAAC – 2001: In 2001 the College went for assessment and the NAAC accredited the College at Five Star level. The College tried to re-design many of its activities in the light of the recommendations made by the NAAC Peer Team. The Academic Monitoring Centre, which was already housed on the campus, has been empowered with the procedure to enhance internal qualities. The efforts have been more systematized to collect, and consolidate the feedback from the students for academic improvement. The number of unit tests was increased to strengthen the evaluation system. All the departments were encouraged to go ahead with a participatory research project with financial assistance from the Alumni Association (FOSA) and the P.T.A. or from independent sponsors. IT education has been given priority.
- Flurry of developments in 2002 – 2004: The already existing Informatics Centre was strengthened by adding two more projects namely Cyber House and Web Development Centre, with the project cost of Rupees 50 lakh, in 2002-2003. An Audio-Visual Theatre with the latest high-tech facilities has been set up in 2003. A Multi-language Lab with a cost of 15 lakhs and the Statistical Computing Lab with a major grant form DST, India under FIST (both launched in 2004) were two powerful wings added to our IT world. Centre for Human Resource Development was housed on the campus to provide professional training to employees outside, thereby improving the efficiency and strength of the human resources at all levels, and to chalk out skill development programmes for students.
- The UGC identified the College as a College with Potential for Excellence (CPE) in 2004: The UGC identified the College as a College with Potential for Excellence (CPE) in 2004. The launching of the CPE Projects infused a new vigour in the research and academic activities of the College. Apart from strengthening the general infrastructural back up including Science Labs, the campus wide network was installed with OFC backbone to network all departments and other offices. It also kept the college functionally vibrant and helped to improve and sustain the quality in teaching and learning.
- Diamond Jubilee in 2009: A lot of infrastructural and academic facilities were added in connection with the diamond jubilee year of the college. The class room capacity was augmented through an addition of Diamond jubilee building. Car Parking bay for staff and Students was built. A pavilion cum gallery was added to the college Play Ground. The Science Labs were renovated and a new Physics Lab was set up. Four UG programmes (Psychology, Functional English, B Com with Computer application and BMMC) and one PG programme (MLISc.) were added to the existing programmes.
- The college was re-accredited at “A” level with 3.34 CGPA in 2009. The peer team identified the strength and weakness of the college and gave specific suggestions for its march ahead. The college after the re accreditation chose to address all the suggestions and recommendations to sustain and improve quality.
- The college was recognized as a Minority Institution by the National Commission for Minorities, New Delhi in 2010.
- Launch of KSCAT (2014): A training centre for the visually challenged, under the auspices of the Kerala State Centre for Assistive Technologies (KSCAT),the fi rst of its kind in the country, was inaugurated by Chief Minister of Kerala Oommen Chandy at Farook College on 20 September 2014. The special computer lab at the centre was inaugurated by the Minister for Education P.K. Abdu Rabb on the occasion. The function was presided over by M K Muneer, Minister for Panchayaths and Social Justice. The two day seminar organized by the Centre in connection with the function was inaugurated by M.K. Raghavan, M.P. Prof. V.N. Rajasekharan Pillai, Executive Vice President, KSCAT and Principal Secretary, Dept. of Science & Technology spoke about the Centre and its functioning.
- Renovation of Yousuf Al Saqer Hall. Completion of formation of Physical Fitness Centre, Botany Block II Phase and North Bloc First Phase: The renovated structure of Yousef Al-Saqer Auditorium was inaugurated by P.K. Abdu Rabb, Minister for Education, Govt. of Kerala on 5 January 2015. Laila Al Saqer, daughter of Haji Yousef Abdulla Al-Saqer, handed over the key of the auditorium to K.V. Kunhamed Koya, Secretary of the College Managing Committee. Abdulla Yousef Al Saqer, grandson of Haji Yousef Abdulla Al Saqer was also present on the occasion.
- 20 Sept 2014: The Chief Minister, Oommen Chandy, laid the Foundation stone of the Block for Postgraduate Studies and Research in Physics on the campus on the occasion. The project was sponsored by P.K. Ahamed, Chairman, Peekay Group, Calicut. Total plinth area of the block is 20000 sq. ft. and the estimated cost will come to Rs. 3.5crores.
- e-Campus Award 2014 – 15: Farook College received the e-Campus Award 2014-15 instituted by the University of Calicut for the affiliated Arts and Science Colleges in recognition of its commendable achievements in terms of excellence in e-governance and technology use in Education and Management. The award was received by Prof. E.P. Imbichikoya, Principal, Farook College from Vice- Chancellor Dr. M. Abdul Salam in a function held on 31 December 2014.
- Autonomy Status in 2015: The University Grant Commission, New Delhi has granted Autonomous Status to Farook College for a period of six years from 2015-16 to 2020-21 on the recommendation of the Committee constituted by the UGC under the Chairmanship of Prof. Suparna Guptu , Director, Gandhian Studies Centre, University of Calcutta. The Committee visited the College on 10 & 11 October 2014 to evaluate the performance of the college. The Committee interacted with the members of the Managing Committee, Principal, Staff and Students of the College.
- NAAC Grades the Institution with A+ Status (3.51) valid from 2016.